XML Programming for Developers
Live Instructor-Led Classroom Training
The application development process is evolving in significant ways. As new technologies are constantly introduced and the demand for integrated data access and utilization grows, understanding key technical XML programming concepts is essential to success in today's application development environment.
Beginning with the fundamentals of the XML specification, attendees will learn how the XML environment forms the basis for all other XML components. Specific attention will be paid to learning how to read and create XML grammars both DTDs and Schemas. Once these topics have been discussed, the workshop will move on to understanding how to use the XSL/XSLT styling and transformation specifications based on the XPath language. Finally, the attendees will be exposed to the DOM and SAX XML parsers that they will use in developing XML-based solutions.
This 4-day workshop will be intermixed with hands-on exercises to allow the attendees to immediately put the new found knowledge into concrete examples that they will be able to take with them upon successful completion of the workshop. Attendees will use current tools and development environments to aid them in obtaining XML development skills and experiences.
Who Should Attend
This workshop will be very beneficial to all those involved in an organization's application and systems development activities. These would include application developers, programmers, application designers, architects and system analysts. In addition, managers and supervisors of these types of activities would also benefit by understanding the tools and skills needed by personnel under their management attention.
An understanding of a programming language and basic application development logic is assumed.
- Understand the XML specification as it relates to application development.
- Learn what defines a well-formed and valid XML data stream.
- Learn the primary XML components (elements, attributes, and entities), and how to define them.
- Use the secondary XML components (PI, CDATA, and comments) to improve XML grammars.
- Learn the new XML grammar solution called Schemas, and how it enhances DTDs.
- Explore XML Schema data types and structures that significantly improve grammar's capabilities.
- Develop both an XML DTD and Schema that are used to validate an XML data stream.
- Beginning with the XPath language, learn how to traverse an XML tree structure to access content.
- Learn how XPath uses the 13 XML tree axes to define where and how a content tree is accessed.
- Using XPath, learn the concepts of XSLT and its use within an XML programming environment.
- Use XSLT to transform one XML stream into another based on end-user requirements.
- Understand how the XSL specification uses HTML and CSS to present XML data for desired output.
- Develop an XSL stylesheet that creates a report solution from an XML data stream.
- Learn the basics of the DOM parser and its application development capabilities.
- Learn the basics of the SAX parser and its application development capabilities.
- Understand the differences between the DOM and SAX APIs.
- Explore additional topics such as XML messaging, e.g. SOAP and ebXML.
- Complete the discussion of current XML tools and development aids available on the market today.
A leader in live technical training since 1978
For many years New Instruction, LLC had been known as an innovative provider of training, consulting and software development services, and clients have often asked us to share our software quality methodologies with them. Those requests led to the development of our longest running workshop, "Testing and Quality Assurance Techniques", now in it's 11th edition.
Drop Us a Line
615 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07043